Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Tragedy at the Tiger Den

I still remember the highchair that all the kids used at my grandma's house. It was a little wooden chair with a tray that could be removed so when they outgrew the need for the actual highchair, the tray could be taken off and the chair just pulled up to the table like a booster seat. I assume it was the chair my mom and aunts used, although I guess I never really asked.


So, when we found out we were expecting our first little cub, we didn't purchase the practical plastic model. A friend having a garage sale was selling her Jenny Lynn Style highchair and with a little nostalgia and a lot of budget concerns, we purchased our own little wooden highchair.

I love that chair. All of my kids have sat there for their first time in a highchair. We have celebrated first birthdays and had countless snacks and meals there. It hasn't been as easy to clean or maintain as the modern day models. The wooden spindles get caked in food and it is hard to get it out. The straps have long since worn off and now the babies get "buckled in" with a handkerchief tied around their middle. There are lots of memories in that chair. It is cute, I have never minded how it looked sitting in the kitchen and I have always pictured my own grandkids coming to visit and sitting in that chair, pulling them up to the table to eat a snack or color a picture.

Until today when the unthinkable happened. Dancer was playing with Tigercub and leaned over on the tray...and it COMPLETELY split in half! We knew it was weak and had warned the kids, but it still surprised me. So now, my precious little highchair full of memories will soon be making a trip to the dump, I guess. :(

Even worse, tonight at supper, Tigercub had to sit in a booster seat. Oh my, he is too young for a booster seat! Although he thoroughly enjoyed having access to all the wonderful things on the table as well as sitting next to his "twin", baseball boy. At the end of the meal, he even reached over and grabbed B.B., hugged his neck, and started patting him on the back! Which made for a bright spot in what would otherwise be a very dark day...the day the highchair died.

Now, I need to figure out what my nostalgia item will be now. Can you pass down a blog to your grandchildren?

5 comments:

Four Little Penguins said...

Oh that is too sad! We have one chair for all four of our kids, too, and DH is going to make me give it away soon. :(

Growin' With It said...

sad story but oh so adorable hearing about the neck hugging and smiles. too cute.

and i totally see blogging as a heritage to our children and grandchildren. that or a reference tool in their therapy sessions! ☺

Dawn @ simply transparent said...

awhhhh..I can understand those sentiments..great write up btw!

blog ..by then it will be something newwer and better and "they will laugh at us.

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you get some snow!

Happy Mommy said...

Girl google highchair tray's and find a replacement! I say save the old chair! We to have a wooden highchair and yes it is hard chiseling the caked on food off of the spindles, but oh how it is worth it! Save the chair!

CJ, The Purple Diva said...

Oh my word! What a tragedy! I hope that the idea to save the chair is something that can be considered. If not, make a stool of it. You could still have something of the wood in it!
And you are too funny about what happened at the dinner table! He wants to be a big boy!