Monday, August 3, 2009

And Now it's Time for Deep Thoughts...

As you may know I have been busy around here making Dancer a little outfit. Although I took Home Ec in school, I would definitely not consider myself a seamstress and had not sewn in YEARS until a couple of years ago when Dancer moved out of toddler sizes into the big girl clothes.



The fashions now are a little better, but at that time they were not modest or very little girl like and I really wanted to find her cute, modest clothing at an affordable price. At that time, I stumbled upon Aimee's sight, Sewsensible. I commented, she emailed and before long she was coaching me through making Dancer an outfit. I was SO proud when I completed my first one and have gone on to make a few more over the past couple of years.



I say all that because I recently finished a new pattern I had never made before. I was so proud, patting myself on the back and posting pictures everywhere! I even sent some to Aimee. She was so kind and gracious...but then she informed me that I had done the pleats wrong on the top. I couldn't believe it! I loved my little outfit and I really thought I had followed the pattern exactly!



I began to "research" I took the pictures I had made and studied them, which, by the way, was not an easy task because they are not good pictures. They are a little blurry and they have a glare on them, but I studied them as best I could. I then went to Aimee's website and checked out the picture of her outfit. I could definitely see that her pleats met in the middle and I knew from making it that my pleats did not, but they were close. The thing is...even though I KNEW my pleats didn't meet, I couldn't really tell in my pictures, not as hard as I tried--I couldn't tell. But Aimee could.



So here is where my deep thought comes in. Aimee is the creator of that pattern. She has worked with it, developed it, tested it, redone it. She has drawn and redrawn it and sewed the outfit probably countless times. She has pleated and re pleated and she KNOWS that pattern. She knows it so well that even looking at a blurry, glared photograph, she can see a flaw and knows exactly what it is! She knows every stitch, every cut, every pleat and knows exactly what that pattern is meant to be.



That is how my Creator knows me! Sometimes, I get so frustrated and feel like no one understands, no one really knows me, no one "gets" me. But my creator knows me inside and out. He knows every detail about me and He knows His plan for me. He knows just exactly how He wants me to "turn out". Sometimes, I don't follow the pattern He has prepared for me. I get off track and take my eyes off Him and I end up not looking quite right. Sometimes, I do everything in my power to make the world see me how I want to look--but He sees me as I really am. With all my flaws, with all my insecurities, with all my longings--He sees me and He knows me and He loves me!



How comforting it is to know that I am known by my creator that much! I am loved by my creator that much. He doesn't just make me and forget about me. He loves me continually, thoroughly, completely. He is continually cutting, stitching, repairing me to make me into the one He created me to be! Oh, for the day when I can look into His eyes and worship at His feet, perfected by His love.

Psalm 139:1-17
1 O LORD, you have searched me and you know me.
2 You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar.
3 You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways.
4 Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O LORD.
5 You hem me in—behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me.
6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain.
7 Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence?
8 If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, [
a] you are there.
9 If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea,
10 even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast.
11 If I say, "Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,"
12 even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you.
13 For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,
16 your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.
17 How precious to [
b] me are your thoughts, O God! How vast is the sum of them!