Wednesday, August 5, 2009

PLEASE READ---I Even Turned Comments Back On

I know, two posts in like four hours...Record breaking for me! I am posting now to ask for your help! I even turned the comments back on for this one!

In a moment of either brilliance or insanity (that remains to be seen) I got the inspiration to write a Bible Study for my kids for our homeschool. Since we began this journey seven years ago, I have never felt I had quite the right study for my kids. I want to do our study together, at least to some extent, but also want to begin encouraging my oldest two to begin studying on their own and learning to set aside time for their own quiet time. I have never been able to find something that worked for all ages and was flexible enough for me.

I have really been praying about this and thinking about what to do and last night, this came to me. I love the format of my Wednesday night ladies Bible Study and it lends itself to both independent as well as group study and discussion, however, it is a little too deep for my younger kids. So, I decided to try my hand at doing my own. I have decided for the first quarter to do a study of the fruits of the spirit focusing on one each week. In my head, I know the format I want to use and I have some ideas. So this is where you come in.

I would love to know what stories in the Bible most demonstrate love to you and also what specific verse or verses best turn your heart toward a loving spirit or attitude. We have routinely memorized a verse of scripture each week or so, but I would like to offer some choices this year as well as look at each fruit from four or five different stories each week. Of course, I will be incorporating the ultimate story of love which is Christ's death but would love to hear what stories make you think of love.

Thanks for helping me out and feel free to send others here. For once, I am not trying to boost my ego through comments or trying to increase my readership, but I really feel passionate about this and would love some feedback!

Thanks in advance. I love ya'll!

11 comments:

Four Little Penguins said...

The story of Moses being left in the basket is a good one about love. His mother loved him enough to give him up. And God loved him and protected him. And his adopted mom obviously loved him too!
I know I will think of more, later, but this is just off the top of my head. :)

I've missed you having your comments on! I've missed being able to "chat" with you! email me sometime! :)

Growin' With It said...

you ROCK! what a fabulous idea. i'll do some thinkin' today and get back to you. miss this little comment box ya know!!

Anonymous said...

I would say the prodigal son story. That is definitely a story of unconditional love.

Aimee said...

Awesome idea - and what a blessing for your kids to have a custom designed study!

Let me think on it, and I'll come back with some specific verses :)

Anonymous said...

First, I want to say, this is my first time visiting your blog. I am here from Home Sanctuary. I'm Christin. Nice to meet you!

Second, I, too, am working toward writing devotions for children because I want to meet the needs of my own children and can't seem to find just the right study or devotion to do that (so why not create my own, right?!) I am still not sure of the format. I have written one, but am not crazy about it. God spoke to me the other day about stepping INTO the worlds of the children, rather than looking from the outside in. That may help a lot! For love, I ALWAYS like to refer back to the definition of it in 1 Corinthians 13. We can't know how to love if we don't know what it is. Love in fact is a verb - an action. So I like to include that in any love studies, lol.

Finally, I have been mulling over turning my comments off. Pretty much for the same reasons as you had stated, but also it will not keep me running back to see if anyone has said anything. You are the second person I've come across who has their comments [normally] turned off and I keep taking it as a confirmation!
Let's see...what else...maybe the story of Jonathan and David?

It wasn't too long ago I decided to let the "internet ministry" go for bigger and better things - better concentration on homeschooling my children. :)

Dani said...

I like Moses' story, too. I will have to think on it some more and get back to you. But one of the stories I really love is when the woman had an unpaid debt and she was told to gather all the containers she could and to fill them up with the little bit of oil that she had. The oil kept coming as long as she had something for it fill, but as soon as she ran out of containers the oil was used up. If she had gathered more containers there would have been even more oil! Lots to learn from that!

Kara said...

What a fantastic idea! I'll have to think on it and come back. The fruits of the spirit are what my husband and I had JUST discussed wanting to study with the kids! Love your blog.

Anonymous said...

1 john 4:7-21 popped into my head.

secondofwett said...

Good for you...I always have great intentions...start off well and strong then life interferes and it peters out....pray that it goes better for you...maybe I should pray more that my intentions would last!

Rachel Anne said...

Oh my..that's a tough challenge. For some reason, the story of Ruth popped into my mind. Perhaps Ruth loved Naomi so much that she was willing to give up all that she had left to follow her to a strange land and people. She demonstrated so many of the fruits of the spirit...

You must be so excited to be doing this for your family. I will pray for inspiration and focus to make it happen! Many blessings.

Unknown said...

Oh I'm completely blank, other than to say I agree with everyone else. I too will think on it.

I've also been really racking my brain trying to figure out what on earth to do with my kids in the bible study arena. I love your idea. I've also thought about studying the attributes of God.

I can't wait to hear more about your ideas. You are an encouragement! Thanks!