Monday, October 13, 2008

This is the Reason They Put Warning Labels on Appliances

I knew I loved the Amish for some reason, and now I know why! Electricity has not been a friend to the youngest in our clan this week.

Saturday night, we were doing the bath routine. Luckily we began early. Dancer got out of the tub and came to get her hair dried. I love to do goofy things to her while drying her hair so we were being silly when Tigercub crawled into the room. I got a little distracted and was not doing an adequate styling job, so Dancer decided to take over. Just as she grabbed the dryer, sparks began flying EVERYWHERE! She was frozen in place screaming but apparently unable to make herself let go until I was able to jerk the cord out from the wall. She is no worse for wear although I think it may be awhile before she allows her hair to be anything but air dried again. I suppose the lesson learned here is if you have a hair dryer that is as old as your marriage, you might want to take caution when handing it to a five year old. Needless to say, I am now the proud owner of a new hair dryer with ionic something or other and a sleek new design! Oh, if only other things that were tired and worn out were so easily replaced.

Today, Tigercub decided to have a little action of his own. I did something completely quirky and off the wall and pulled out the vacuum! Oh, I kid, I get that pesky thing out about once a day now that Little Man has begun self feeding. He self feeds himself, the highchair, the floor, the wall...anyway, today I decided to do the unthinkable and leave the beast out so I could run it all over the downstairs after supper.

Now, the boys have once again lost every privilege known to man because they are having mouth and obedience issues and as a result they are very obliging...hoping to lure me into giving back at least a privilege or two. During these times, they volunteer for all sorts of jobs that would otherwise cause them to groan, roll their eyes and swear they had nothing to do with it! And so, when I went to the laundry room and heard the vacuum switch on, I thought nothing of it. Until I heard the screams. It seems that Tigercub had figured out how to turn on the beast and then been terrified of it...which is completely understandable, because the sound of a cleaning instrument in use is quite foreign around here! He had crawled into a corner and was screaming and staring at the vacuum as if it was headed in for the kill. This paired with the "screaming monkey" a friend of mine gave him to play with a couple of weeks ago have pretty well insured the poor child WILL be in counseling one day!

I wonder if there are any good therapists in Amish country?

3 comments:

Aimee said...

I don't know if there are therapists, but there is blessed silence.

Which may be even better :)

Happy Mommy said...

I had the same thing happen with my hair dryer a few weeks ago. I now too have a super shiny silver and white dryer, its alot quieter.

CJ, The Purple Diva said...

I swear you are hysterical! I just cannot say it enough! I love to read about your day cause it is NEVER dull or uneventful! You slay me!