Friday, May 7, 2010

Coffee Talk 5.7.10

C'mon in and have a seat! You might want to grab a large drink. I have so much in my head, I'll try to keep it as brief as possible, but I have intended to get on here all week and I just can't seem to do it anymore!

All I can say is, "What a week!" It began this weekend when Tigerfan and F.B. went out of town to go hunting. On Friday, B.B. spent the day with a friend at his grandparent's farm. I was supposed to keep them while his momma went to a dinner but they stayed at the farm instead. I took Dancer to dance and when we got home, they were there waiting on us. The momma's car was parked in the driveway and in my guilt at not being home and trying to avoid her car, I turned mine really sharp and absolutely crushed the side of my car going into the garage! It didn't do wonders for the side of the garage either. I'm not exactly sure why someone thought it was a good idea to give me a driver's license, but they might want to revisit that!

The momma invited B.B. to spend the night with them and we arranged for me to come get them Saturday morning for breakfast and then they were going to play at our house while she went to meetings. However, things did not go as planned. Because at about 3:00 a.m., we were awakened to tornado sirens. I got the two remaining children and we spent the next hour and a half to two hours in our tiny, under the stairway bathroom. On the upside...I entered the world of the tech savvy (I'm totally kidding) by learning to text as I communicated with the other momma about the safety of our children. We finally got to go back to bed...with the children in bed with me. A couple of hours later, I got up to walk the dog and survey the damage. It was still raining and the yard was SOAKED and more storms were coming. So I put the dog in the outdoor pen and spent the morning watching it rain and rain and rain and rain. Most of the morning, the sirens went off and we finally figured out that there would be no meetings. We decided to leave the boys where they were until the weather calmed down.

By noon, we had had about 11 1/2 inches of rain and it was still coming down! Then they started reporting flooding and sink holes and road closings. The bridge on the road going to our house was flooded and it wasn't long before I discovered that they had closed the road leading back into both directions. I was trapped in our neighborhood and B.B. was still at his friend's house. I forgot to add that our ceiling had started leaking during the night and then the fan and light over the stove began leaking. I lost power in my oven and microwave. We decided that B.B. would just have to stay with the friend until the roads cleared up and I resigned myself to the fact that Tigerfan and F.B. may not be able to make it home on Sunday. It stormed all through the night Saturday night and we spent some more quality time in that tiny bathroom. It finally stopped raining Sunday afternoon. We got over 12 inches of rain and our city was rampaged. However, we are very blessed because Nashville, just two hours from us is still reeling. You have probably seen those images on T.V. By Sunday evening, I was able to get B.B. back and Tigerfan was able to get through. Here are a few images of our city this weekend.

In other news, I am a quitter! I am ashamed to admit it, but it is true. Today, we have someone coming that is HOPEFULLY going to take the puppy. It is just too much for me. In the beginning, the boys were helping and Tigerfan was going to come home every night and work with him. In reality...the new wore off and Tigerfan doesn't have time. The boys have lost interest and I have to constantly fuss to get them to help. The result...I am spending close to two hours a day tending to that dog and I just don't have time. I need that two hours to work with four children! And the dog is not getting the attention he needs. So...we are sending him on. I must admit, I am a little sad. He is a beautiful little puppy and super sweet. He will make a great pet...for someone else. Personally, I may do the happy dance this afternoon.
And in case things aren't exciting enough, I leave EARLY Sunday morning to go to San Jose, California for a week. The H.S. Science teacher from the tutorial and I are going to attend the national Science Fair with a couple of our students. It is a great opportunity. But I have never been away from my children this long. I am sad to leave them and am completely overwhelmed at all that has to be done. We are trying to finish projects that are due next week so Daddy and Nana don't have to deal with them. I need to grocery shop, plan lessons for next week and pack. We have people coming about the dog and someone coming to change our satellite today and we still have guitar and dance. So, why am I on this computer?

I can't promise I'll get around to visit today...but I will totally try to find time during the next week...I mean seven childless days ought to leave me a little time, right! Hope everyone has a great weekend and a wonderful Mother's Day! And just in case she happens to look this way: I have the most amazing Momma in the entire world and I love you to pieces. Wish I could spend this weekend with you!
For more Coffee Talk, visit Home Sanctuary.


Melinda said...

Glad you are safe after the storms!

Have a blast in CA!

Loretta said...

Oh my goodness, what a week you have had! I'm glad you are safe.

UKZoe said...

WOW, that's an intense weekend. Glad you're all safe though.

bashtree said...

wow, so glad to hear you're safe and sound! What a weekend you had - tornado sirens in the middle of the night?? Whoa! I admire you for quitting the sounds like that's the best solution for everyone.

Cari Kaufman said...

Wow! Starr, you seem to have this thing with water...sheesh...craziness! I am so glad you are all safe and sound!

Have a wonderful time in CA and from one traveling mom to another, don't kill yourself trying to get everything done. Your Hubby can take care of all that is not finished when you leave!

Praying for a great weekend for you!

Diane said...

It must have been awful to be in such terrible weather - and not have all your kids with you. Glad to know it worked out alright!

Anonymous said...

Wow! That is quite a week. Glad everyone is safe and sound for the most part. The storms did a number on the roads. Yikes!

Headed toward my neck of the woods huh? My brother graduated from San Jose State University last year. My cousin lives down that way. About 40 minutes from us. Are you needing suggestions for places to visit or eat at?

Lea said...

OMG! I thought of you all last week-end and knew that you had your hands so full. I totally understand about the puppy, there will be another day for a dog. Enjoy your time away and I bet you will come home relaxed and refreshed. A wonderful Mother's Day is wished for you!

Alicia said...

Wow, those pictures are amazing. Glad you are all safe.

Forgetfulone said...

Sending the dog on sounds like the right decision. You're needed for so many other things. That is an awful lot of rain! Glad you're okay. Happy Mother's Day!

Ashley said...

Glad you are safe! How's the 60/60 Challenge going for you?

Just making the Coffee Girl Rounds this AM - Have a GREAT weekend!

Aimee said...

Oh my goodness! So glad you are safe after all the storms. I'm exhausted after just reading about your week!

Have a great time in CA! :)

Linda said...

that second photo made me gasp. yes, WHAT A WEEK. but ahh to hear you are headed to sunshine and warm weather today makes me smile. enjoy!

kids craft kits said...

Oh my gosh! I'm glad you're ok!

Linda said...

Wow-this is some week for you! I a glad that you are safe and sound!
Have a great time away!