Friday, May 28, 2010

Coffee Talk 5.28.10

Good Morning Strangers...

It has been too long. Science Fairs and the end of school and dance recitals and guitar lessons have taken precedence over this blog for several weeks. I haven't posted a thing and haven't read much either. I thought, with school ending last week, I would get on more, but so far it hasn't happened. I have missed "chatting" with ya'll and hope that I can get back here a little more regularly now that school is out and the kids are sleeping in!

I hope everyone has been doing well. I keep thinking I will do a "catch up" post to fill you in on all that has been happening around here but today that isn't going to happen. Today, we are a little sad around here because Wednesday night, we lost my grandfather. I am so glad for him that he is no longer trapped in a body that just wouldn't cooperate with him. But I am sad for us. I am mad at myself because I didn't get back home to visit him just one more time. And I am sad that my children won't grow up to know the treasure they are missing.

My grandfather was a cowboy. The REAL thing. But in recent years, his body would no longer let him ride...and it frustrated him to no end. Now he is free! And I am glad for him. But I wish I had just one more moment. The last time I got to visit him, he wanted me to listen to his favorite CD. It was Alan Jackson singing old hymns. I remember sitting on his living room floor listening to those old songs I grew up with and looking over at grandpa. He smiled and listened and during one song, tears were rolling down his face as he remembered that song from his childhood. He couldn't believe I knew the words to every song! My grandfather was not a religious man...but he loved to listen to those old hymns and I find a lot of comfort in that.

I didn't know this post would be so hard to write. I am so thankful for the memories I have. Memories of hymns and of sitting out in his yard just chatting with family. Memories of him "dressing up" with the kids and hiding from Grandma so he could smoke without getting in trouble. And I am thankful he is free and no longer bound by his body. I am grateful for the hope of salvation that we have in Christ and feel compelled to share Him once again. It is in Christ alone that we have peace and hope and comfort. I do not know how people cope without knowing Him as their savior but I am reminded of the words of another old hymn:

I'd rather have Jesus than silver or gold;
I'd rather be his than have riches untold;
I'd rather have Jesus than houses or land;
I'd rather be led by His nail-pierced hand

Than to be the king of a vast domain,
Or be held in sin's dread sway.
I'd rather have Jesus than anything
This world affords today.
Praying you know my savior today and leaving you with a couple of my favorite pictures of Grandpa.




For more Coffee Talk, go to Home Sanctuary.

19 comments:

Alicia said...

Oh, thanks for sharing. I'm praying that you are comforted and I'm glad for the peace you have in Jesus.

LydiaCate said...

Star I'm so sorry for your loss! I rejoice with you that your Grandfather is free and has a restored body in the presence of Jesus. I pray the Lord will comfort you during this time and flood you with precious memories!

I was so relieved to see you'd posted this week!! I've missed you and I'd about decided you and your family had perished in the floods. :) So glad that isn't the case!

Praying for you!
LydiaCate

Aimee said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. We'll certainly keep you and your family in our prayers.

Together We Save said...

So sorry for your loss!! Praying for you and your family.

mholgate said...

I'm so glad you stopped by today. I'll be praying for you over your loss. I was really close with my Grandpa also. My Grandma is still alive at 95, and I travel to see her every chance I get.

Hang on to all of those wonderful memories and tell stories to your kids so that they can know him through your eyes. :)

Blessings,
Melissa

Unknown said...

Oh, sweet girl. I just lost my grandmother and can empathize with your post. I've spent time blogging about my grief and it has helped me tremendously. Your family will be in my prayers...

secondofwett said...

Oh Star....I'm so very sorry for you not having one last visit w/your grandpa...I feel the same about my dad....when we left for Chicago, I said to him that he had to be good...he said he would, he couldn't do much else...but when I said that to him my heart was saying...be good and don't die before I get back...but he did...I didn't get the one last hug or I love you...I struggle with that...I also struggle with the fact that my sister, who was the only one with him when he died, told him that it was okay for him to go...I know I'm not being rational but you asked me what you could specifically pray about and that would be it...can't even really put the need into words..those are just my feelings that I struggle with. I miss my dad terribly as I imagine you miss your grandpa. I wouldn't want him to be still here struggling but I want him here. My mom has good days and bad days but her world has been tossed topsy turvy with losing her home and my dad in a matter of a few weeks. Thank you for your prayers...sorry this is kind of long...

Anonymous said...

Sad, but a passing of a loved one, or even of those that we don't know, always is a reminder that life is so precious. May God grant you and your family comfort through this time.

Thanks for stopping by, and I'm glad you enjoyed your stay here in CA.

Heather said...

Thank you so much for sharing about your grandfather. What sweet memories and I'm thankful for the godly legacy he has left. Thanks for visiting my blog--funny how our posts were similar. :)

jamie said...

Sorry for your loss, but thanks for sharing such wonderful memories...Faith is a great thing!

Lauri said...

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. My prayers are with you & your family.

KelleyAnnie @ Over the Threshold said...

I lost my second grandfather almost three years ago. Probably the best memories of my young life involved him or the times I spent at his house. I still play back those memories quite frequently. My dad's dad died when I was very young and I really only have one clear memory of him, other than his funeral. Glad you had yours so long.

Sharon said...

I'll be praying for you and your family and may you find comfort knowing you will see him again in Glory! Hope things will settle down for you now that school is wrapping up. I'm glad yours' know to sleep in. My oldest has been getting up earlier and earlier- today it was 6 am!

Cari Kaufman said...

oh Star, I was in tears by the time you got to the hymn...I love that song!

I love that you got the moments with him sharing a love of those hymns...I am so sorry for your loss and will be praying for you!

PS I have missed you too!

Katharine said...

What a beautiful post, I'm so sorry... Thank you for stopping by, I smiled when I read your profile...we have so much in common!(including Starbucks Fraps)
You are in my prayers today, I hope your days are full of wonderful memories.

Rooh said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. But he knows he was loved, and you have such wonderful memories of your grandfather.

I had similar conflicting emotions when my FIL passed away a few years ago. He had Altzeimer's, and he truly was robbed. Of knowing his grandchildren, of seeing his sons as fathers themselves. But now he's at peace.

You will have those memories forever, and for that you are blessed.

Take care ...

SpitFire said...

Star it must have been the week for that. My neighbor lost her grandfather this week as well. Like with my grandmother, the comfort is in knowing where they went. I hope he went peacefully.

Angie said...

He looks like a hoot! Love the pictures; thanks for sharing him with us!

I'm sorry for your loss, but glad to hear He knows the Lord. I, too, don't understand how people "do life" without Him!

Happy Memorial Day.

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

Oh, have missed you so much but knew that you had been more than a little busy. So, so sorry about your Grandfather. And, so lad that you have the peace and comfort that only our Lord and Savior can give. Love you!